We use cookies to monitor site usage, improve your experience and tailor adverts. This includes cookies from trusted third parties. Please read our Cookies policy.

Work and benefits when your condition changes

If your condition changes, you might need adjustments to help you stay in work. You may also be eligible for different benefits. The Government will try to work out:

  • if you need help to cover the extra cost of being disabled
  • how much work you can do and if your income needs topping up

Use the Turn2us benefits calculator to find out what you can claim.

Making adjustments to your job

The law requires your employer to make reasonable adjustments that would enable a disabled person to work. There is no set definition of what is ‘reasonable’. It is unique to each job and employer.

Adjustments can include equipment, different duties and flexible working. If you’re not sure what adjustments you might need, Access to Work grants can pay for specialist assessments and recommended adjustments.

Reasonable adjustments at work

Access to Work 

Help covering extra costs

You can claim Personal Independence Payment if you're in work or unemployed. It does not matter how much money you have because it's meant to meet some of the extra costs of being disabled.

You will have an assessment to work out how much help you need with mobility and daily living activities. Depending on how much help you need, you can get a higher rate of PIP.

Personal Independence Payment

Sick leave and Statutory Sick Pay

If you need to take time off work, you may be entitled to sick pay from your employer. After 28 weeks of Statutory Sick Pay, you may be eligible for New Style Employment and Support Allowance based on your National Insurance contributions.

Sick leave and sick pay

Employment and Support Allowance

Replacing your income

If you cannot get sick pay or you've stopped work, you can apply for benefits to replace your income. You will usually have a Work Capability Assessment. This is to find out whether your condition affects your ability to work in any job.

If the assessment shows your condition does not affect your ability to work, you will be required to look for a job. Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to:

  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • New Style Jobseekers' Allowance (NSJSA) based on your National Insurance contributions

If the assessment shows your condition does affect your ability to work, you might not need to do as much job searching or work-related activity. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for:

  • Universal Credit (UC)
  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance (NSESA)

Benefits and work

Working disabled people tend to be better off claiming Employment and Support Allowance and Working Tax Credit. These benefits are no longer available for new claimants. You can only make a new claim for Working Tax Credit if you already get Child Tax Credit.

ESA claimants can earn up to £152 a week if they work for less than 16 hours a week.

How much you can earn on Universal Credit 

Last reviewed by Scope on: 31/03/2022

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

More about working and your benefits

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window