Discounted travel schemes for disabled people

Transport can be more costly for disabled people. For example, 2 in 3 wheelchair users say they have been overcharged for a taxi or private hire vehicle because of their wheelchair. Find out how you can cut your travel costs:

Access to Work

If you are eligible for Access to Work, you may need to contribute what you would normally have to pay for travel to and from work

Blue Badge scheme

The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to where you're going. Contact your local council about disabled parking spaces.

Read about Blue Badges (Disability Rights UK).

Free tax disc (Vehicle Excise Duty)

Some disabled people can get Exemption of VED for one car. You, or someone you nominate, may have a free ‘tax disc' if you get:

  • high rate DLA mobility component
  • enhanced rate PIP mobility component
  • armed forces independence payment
  • war pensioners supplement

If you get the standard rate mobility component of PIP, you may be entitled to 50% off your VED. When you are awarded your qualifying benefit, you should be sent a Certificate of Entitlement. You'll need this each time you renew your VED. Even if you have a certificate, the DVLA can refuse to grant an exemption if they think the vehicle will not be used solely by or for the purposes of the disabled person.

Free bus passes

Depending on where in the UK you live, you might be entitled to free or discounted bus travel. Find out more about bus passes and other travel concessions where you live by following the links below:

Disabled Persons Railcard

The Disabled Persons Railcard gives you a third off most rail fares. The discount is for 2 people – so you can save money for a friend or a carer too. You have to buy the railcard but it can pay for itself after just one journey. There’s lots of assistance available when travelling by train – including help getting on and off the train and help with luggage – all free of charge.


There is no national concessions scheme for coach travel. Ask your coach company if discounted travel is available.

National Express

National Express sells a Disabled Coach Card that gives a third off their standard fares.

Community transport

Community transport (which is sometimes called ‘Dial a Ride’ or ‘Ring and ride’) is usually run by local authorities and can be a good alternative to taxis or public transport.

Find your local community transport provider on the CT Online website.

Travelling in London

Disabled Persons Freedom Pass

A Disabled Persons Freedom Pass will give you:

  • Free 24-hour travel across Transport for London’s networks (except for some river boats which are half price)
  • Free train travel on the London Overground network (you may not be able to travel before 9.30am)

London Taxicard Scheme

The London Taxicard Scheme gives subsidised taxis for disabled people who find using public transport difficult.


Information courtesy of Money Advice Service.

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window