Help completing benefit claim forms

Benefit claim forms can be complicated and confusing. Getting help to complete the forms promptly will reduce stress and may help you get your money quicker.

You can claim most benefits online but you can ask for paper copies if you need them.

Getting started

Preparation is everything.

  • Set aside plenty of time to complete the application.
  • Read through the application and notes.
  • Collect all the documents and information you need to complete the application.
  • Submit your application as soon as possible.

Help from your local authority

Your local authority can provide advice for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction claims.

If your local authority has Welfare Advisers, they may be able to help with claims for benefits.

If you’re already receiving social care through your local authority, they may help with new claims.

Find your local authority (GOV.UK)

Help from your local advice centre

Find a local benefits adviser (Turn 2 Us) 

Warning Check your form

If someone else completes the form for you, you must read and check the answers for accuracy. Incorrect or untrue information could delay payment or lead to prosecution.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 05/10/2018

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help with benefits?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window