Priority Services Register for extra help from energy and water companies
You can sign up to a Priority Services Register (PSR) to receive extra help from your energy or water company. It’s free to sign up.
You do not need to show proof of your condition, age or situation. You’re eligible if you:
- have reached your State Pension age
- are disabled or have a long-term medical condition
- are recovering from an injury
- have a hearing or sight condition
- have a mental health condition
- are pregnant or have children under 5
- have extra communication needs, such as if you do not speak or read English well
You might still be able to register for other reasons if your situation is not listed. For example, if you need short-term support after a stay in hospital.
Being on the register gives you access to:
- information in an accessible format
- notice of planned power cuts or water supply issues
- identification schemes where company staff give you a password so you know it’s a genuine call
- nominee schemes where they send your bills to a family member or carer of your choice
- priority support in an emergency
- help with meter readings
If you have different companies for water, electricity and gas, you will need to sign up with each. If you have a carer, they can sign up for you. You can register for all or some of the services.
The Priority Services Register (Ofgem)
Video about Priority Services Register (YouTube)
If someone else manages the bills
You can still sign up to the Priority Services Register if your bills:
- are in someone else’s name, like your landlord
- are included in your rent, for example through a housing association
If you’re refused access to the register
You should not be refused access to the Priority Services Register with any energy or water company if you’re eligible. Scope’s utility team can help.
Book a free appointment with a Scope adviser.
Call free on 0808 801 0828.
Each company has its own Priority Services Register. You can find their contact details on your bill and register by phone.
You can register online if you are a customer of
If you have a different company for your gas and electricity, you need to contact both.
If you switch supplier, you will need to register for the PSR again with your new supplier.
If you move house but stay with the same company, you’ll remain on the register.
Last reviewed by Scope on: 16/02/2022
Was this page helpful?