Benefits and funding the extra costs of having a disabled child

If you are the parent or carer of a disabled child, you could get disability benefits, grants and advice about money. And as some benefits are not means-tested, you can work full-time and still receive money.

Warning Claim your benefits

Use a benefits calculator to find out what you can claim.

Information about benefits

Money Advice Service has information on disability benefits and entitlements for children. Advice is also available from charities and voluntary organisations.

Benefits and support could include:

Talk to the Scope online community about benefits.

Help with care

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is available for children under 16 who need extra looking after or have difficulty walking, even if they don’t have a diagnosis. Read more about the DLA eligibility criteria.

If you care for a disabled child for more than 35 hours a week, you can apply for Carer’s Allowance.

Local authorities must publish all services available to support disabled children and their families in the area. This is called a Local Offer. It covers education, health and social care services. Speak to your social services department about what you can get.

Find your local authority

Help with travel

You can get help with your child’s bus and train travel. If your child travels for NHS treatment, the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme will cover reasonable costs for them and an escort.

Contact your local authority for:

  • free school transport
  • disabled person’s bus passes, which give carers free or discounted travel if they are with someone with a pass

A Disabled Persons Railcard gives the holder and a friend one third off rail fares.

If your child has the higher rate mobility for DLA, you can lease a car under the The Motability Scheme. You have to contribute your entire mobility component, but then your only expense running the vehicle is fuel.

Help with the home

Your local authority can provide a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if you need specialist equipment or make changes to your home.

This includes:

  • wider doorways and ramps
  • special locks for external doors, fridges or cupboards containing hazardous items
  • stairlifts and a downstairs bathroom
  • adapting lighting and heating controls
  • specialist equipment for mobility or using the bathroom

Some organisations provide grants for items not covered by your local authority or the government.

Search for grants

Local advice

Look for a local agency who can provide advice on benefits, housing, jobs, legal issues and other practical help.

Find a local agency (Advicefinder)

Get local advice (Advicelocal)

Last reviewed by Scope on: 11/04/2018

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window