Coronavirus: information and updates

Getting financial help from your energy supplier

Many gas and electric suppliers have funding which can support you financially. This could include not being able to afford your gas and electric bill or owing them money. Each supplier has their own criteria.

You can also get free extra services from your supplier by signing up to the Priority Services Register.

British Gas Energy Trust

Apply for a British Gas Energy Trust grant

To apply you must:

  • live in England, Wales or Scotland
  • be the account holder or explain why you cannot complete the form yourself
  • not have received a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust within the last 2 years
  • have a current energy account in your name or be a member of that household
  • have gas or electricity debt or both
  • not have savings above £5,000
  • have received help from a money advice agency

You do not have to be a British Gas customer to apply. When applying you must provide:

  • 3 recent consecutive wage slips or benefit statement less than 1 year old
  • your latest gas and electricity bill

EDF Energy Customer Support Fund

Apply for EDF Energy Customer Support Fund

If you are in debt with your gas and electricity payments, EDF can provide grants to buy white goods, such as a fridge or washing machine.

To apply you must be an EDF customer.

Before applying you must have:

  • checked your eligibility for government schemes such as Warm Home Discount and Energy Company Obligation
  • checked if EDF Energy has a cheaper tariff that would save you money
  • accessed money advice and know your household income, spending and debts

When applying you must:

  • know your EDF Energy account number
  • take a meter reading the day you send the application
  • tell EDF why you are applying, especially if this is due to illness or financial difficulties
  • have proof of any benefits or tax credits

It’s quicker to send proof of your benefits electronically if you can.

npower Energy Fund

Apply for the npower Energy Fund

The npower Energy Fund can help if you are in debt with gas and electricity payments. They can also provide grants to buy white goods.

To apply you must:

  • be an npower customer
  • complete the 3-month Provisional Award Scheme

When applying you must provide:

  • proof of household income for the current tax year
  • entitlement to a benefit and the amounts due to be paid for the current tax year
  • letters for state or private pensions
  • a letter that confirms your medical conditions from the organisation that referred you, a medical DS1500 form, a consultant or your doctor

All evidence must be less than 3 months old, except for Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) annual benefit letters. For example, State Pension and Child Benefit letters.

Scottish Power Hardship Fund

Register online for the Scottish Power Hardship Fund

Once you have registered, they will email the form to you.

To complete the form over the phone or to apply for someone else, call 0808 800 0128

To apply you must be a Scottish Power customer. You must be receiving 1 of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance

You could also qualify if you have a low household income or if there are special circumstances. For example, you have experienced an income reduction due to illness.

Once your application has been received, they will review it within 5 working days. You will then get a letter or email which will tell you the outcome.

Bulb Energy Fund

Apply for the Bulb Energy Fund 2020

September 2020 update: Bulb has used up their debt write-off fund for 2020. But you can still apply for the Energy Fund. They will let you know when other support becomes available.

To apply you must:

  • be a current Bulb member
  • have more than £150 of debt
  • pay for your energy monthly, not with a top up (also called prepay) meter
  • not be able to repay your debt within 12 months on your current income
  • not be able to afford your ongoing usage after Citizens Advice Plymouth has helped you increase your income, such as by claiming benefits
  • have a household income of less than £16,190

This does not include any income received from:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Council Tax Reduction, sometimes called Council Tax Support or Council Tax Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • any Universal Credit payments you get for children or housing

Ovo Energy Fund

Apply for the Ovo Energy Fund

To apply you must have:

  • or have had, an account with OVO Energy
  • a debt on your gas or electricity account of at least £150
  • an annual household income of £16,190 or less
  • a valid reason affecting your ability to pay

Charis: Let’s Talk Energy Fund

Apply for the Let’s Talk Energy Fund

The Let's Talk Energy Fund can help if you are struggling to pay your bills or to replace broken white goods such as:

  • cookers
  • fridges
  • freezers
  • washing machines
  • gas and oil boilers

White goods and boiler repairs or replacements

  • Boost
  • OVO
  • Spark
  • SSE

White goods and energy debt relief

  • Tonik Energy

White goods only

  • Scottish Power

When applying you must:

  • prove you claim certain means-tested benefits
  • provide evidence to support your request

Last reviewed by Scope on: 10/11/2020

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help with energy bills?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window