Coronavirus: information and updates

Support with Council Tax during coronavirus

The Government has announced a hardship fund. This will provide Council Tax support to households affected most by coronavirus.

The hardship fund will go to local authorities in England so they can reduce the 2020 to 2021 Council Tax bills of working age people getting Local Council Tax Support.

Local authorities can use the funding to give further discretionary support through other ways, such as Local Welfare Schemes.

What’s available to you will depend on your area. Go to your local authority website or contact your local council to find out what support you can get.

Find your local authority (GOV.UK)

Wales is not covered by the hardship fund

The UK government hardship fund does not include local authorities in Wales. The Welsh Government is encouraging people to find out if they are eligible for Council Tax Reduction.

Council Tax discounts and reduction (

If you do not already get a Council Tax Reduction

You may qualify for a Council Tax Reduction because of coronavirus if:

  • your income has dropped to a low income. This includes employed and self-employed people.
  • you started claiming benefits
  • you’re working part-time
  • you’re pension age and getting other state benefits

How the scheme works and who can apply may vary between local councils. Check your local council website for the Council Tax support page. You should be able to find out:

  • if you qualify for Council Tax Reduction
  • how to apply
  • if you can get welfare support
  • what support you can get if you do not qualify, such as smaller payments or deferred payments 

Warning Deferred payments

Deferred payments mean that you can stop your monthly payments for a little while. They’re sometimes called payment holidays.

You still have to pay the same amount over the tax year. Your monthly bill will likely be bigger when you start payments again. You'll also have less time to pay your total.

If you’re not sure if you qualify for Council Tax Reduction or what support you can get, contact your local council for advice. Look for contact details on their Council Tax support page.

Find your local authority (GOV.UK)

Council Tax Reduction schemes and how to apply

Contact our helpline

If you already get a Council Tax Reduction

If you are working age and already get Council Tax Reduction, your local council should give you an extra £150 off your 2020 to 2021 bill. Your local council should send you a new bill automatically. If your Council Tax bill is less than £150, you will not pay anything for the tax year 2020 to 2021.

Last reviewed by Scope on: 26/05/2020

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help with money?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window