Social Fund grants and payments (government grant scheme) 

This is a Government fund that may make payments to people in need to cover specific costs. It provides:

Follow the links to find out how to apply.

Budgeting Loans and short-term advances

Budgeting Loans are available through the Department for Work and Pensions to help claimants who have been on an income-related benefit for at least 26 weeks. The loans help cover the costs of essential items for which it is difficult to budget.

Short-term advances are intended for those in financial need because of a delay in dealing with a claim or making payment of a benefit aware.

Local welfare provision schemes

Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans have been replaced. In England, this is by Local Welfare Provision Schemes run by local authorities. In Wales, there is a national scheme called the Discretionary Assistance Fund.

VAT (Value Added Tax) relief

You may be entitled to tax relief when buying certain items that are intended exclusively and specifically for the use of disabled people, such as a wheelchair or adapted computer keyboard. Most dealers of disability equipment can advise on this or you can contact the Customs and Excise VAT team.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) are for making adaptations to the home of a disabled person.

This page is old. We hope it’s still useful, but we’re working on new content to replace it.

Was this page helpful?

We're sorry to hear that.

Tell us how we can improve it

Need more help?

Opens in a new windowOpens an external siteOpens an external site in a new window